Blogger interview - Midwest mayhem

04:51:00



031810-steps

031810-feet


How do you get your inspiration for the outfits you wear ?
- A lot of times I'm inspired by movies, especially movies from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I also follow a ton of fashion blogs, websites, and magazines. It's not always literally an outfit that inspires me. For example, sometimes it's just a group of colors together or an image of something that I find haunting. 

Who has had the biggest fashon influence on your outfits ?
- Probably Twiggy, I love the whole 60's mod look. I love that it's playful, it's art, and that it also has a history behind it. 

051810-fullbody

What made you start posting your pictures on chictopia ? 
-As I started reading more and more blogs, I noticed that a lot of people were on Chictopia as well. I checked it out and I liked the community aspect of it, so I joined. 


What blogs and websites do you follow and why ? 
-Oh goodness, there are so many blogs that I follow! The first blog I started reading was Kansas Couture. I saw something about it in Lucky magazine, so I looked it up and BAM there it was - this whole internet based fashion world that I had no idea existed. 
Other than Kansas Couture (http://www.kansascouture.com/), some of my other favorites are:
Calivintage (http://calivintage.blogspot.com/), Selective Potential, (http://selectivepotential.blogspot.com/) and Kendi Everyday (http://kendieveryday.blogspot.com/).
I love how everything Katy styles on Kansas Couture always looks so chic and put-together. It's always very classy.
I want to own everything that Erin wears on Calivintage. I love her style and the California background always makes me consider moving out west. 
Tieka from Selective Potential is just such a sweetheart. She's always thinking of creative ways to use her blog from giveaways to her "Guy Behind the Camera" series. 
I love reading Kendi Everyday. Kendi is so clever and funny. I enjoy every time that she updates. 

040210-sit-lookatcameracorrect

040210-sitting-lookaway


Would you describe yourself as a trendsetter or fashion follower ?
-I guess it depends on what is currently 'in'. Since the retro look is more 'in' right now I guess that would make me a trendsetter. Once it's 'out' though, I'll go back to just looking 'odd' or 'interesting'. 


How would you describe your style ? 
-Vintage/retro with a contemporary twist. I usually incorporate new and vintage items into an outfit. When I'm wearing my glasses I'd say that 'geek chic' would also be appropriate. 

040810-bendingover

040810-fullbody

Does the hosiery you wear dictate the clothes,outfit you wear ?
-In the winter yes. I have about 5 pairs of thick tights, so I'll usually have to create an outfit based on which pair is clean. 

What is in your hosiery drawer or closet ? 
-Of course there are the basic solids: black, brown, white, & grey.
-Then there are the more colorful purples, blues, and prints. 
-Here and there you'll find a few fishnets and patterned tights. 
-And bunched up in a corner are usually a few pairs of nylons. Extra points if you can find a pair with no runs!



042710-lilactights

041010-fullbody

How do you choose your hosiery ? 
-Based on the season. If it's winter, I'll buy thick tights. If it's spring I'll go usually go for patterns or fishnets. During the summer I'll try to convince myself that I don't need any tights. Then fall hits and I'll go for more solid colors to go with patterned wool mini skirts. 

Where do you shop for hoseiry ? 
-All over. When I lived in Chicago, I would usually go to Filene's Basement. This past winter I just discovered that DSW has some amazing tights. Target is also really good. I'll buy them from thrift stores if they are still in the package. That's usually hit or miss though. I've found some from thrift stores that are soft and fit like a dream, but then others have been scratchy and sit at an uncomfortable spot between my hips and waist. If you're looking to buy online I'd recommend We Love Colors. The pair that I have are the most comfortable tights I own. 

What was the last item of hosiery you bought, how much you spent etc ?
-I just bought a pair of lavender tights from We Love Colors for $12.50. 

042710-stripedtights

Do you prefer sheer or opaque tights,stockings or holdups,socks or kneehighs,sheer toe or reinforced ? 
-Opaque, reinforced toes all the way! I have cats and I'm naturally a bit clumsy, so my tights run really easily. 

Do you ever wear 10 denier tights or sheer hose if so how long do they last you ?
-In the spring I like wearing sheer white pantyhose (I still prefer the opaque, but that doesn't mean I don't like the sheer.) I'll go for the sheer hose anytime that I need to look more put together, such as for a job interview. I prefer the CVS/Walgreens brands over department store brands. The cheaper ones will usually last for about 3 wears before they run, but anything more expensive will only last a day. 

042610-greencardigan

How does wearing tights make you feel emotionally ? More feminine,better with girly outfits not thought about it ?
-I definitely feel more feminine, youthful, and unique. 

Do you physically like the feel of tights and touch ? Do your legs ache less, prefer than pants ? not thought about it ?
-I am constantly running my hands over my legs when I'm wearing tights and always making my husband feel too! I love how soft they are!

When do you wear hosiery,daily-once a week etc ?
-Unless it's summer I usually wear tights everyday. Occasionally I'll wear pants, but usually it's all tights for me. 



What is your hosiery staple?
-Black tights, because I need them for work. 

What are your style tips for wearing tights ?
-Don't freeze for fashion! In the winter I'll wear one or two light pair of tights under a heavier pair. 

-If you're wearing an outfit with a heavy print, go for a solid color. However, if you're wearing a simple outfit, a nice patterned pair of tights can really help to add some character. 

-A small snag or run doesn't mean that the life of your tights is over! Put a small amount of clear nail polish around the area and it should stop that nasty snag before it can do more serious damage. 

How do you put on tights?
-I start with my right leg, pull the tights up to my thigh, then do the same for the left leg and pull them up!

Do you keep a spare pair of tights in your bag ?
-If I'm wearing sheer pantyhose and I'm in a position where I need to look professional all day, then yes. I can't risk the dreaded run. 

051810-minifull

051810-minicandle

051810-minibehind

The best and worst things about hosiery, Love-hate ?
-Best things are feeling pretty, having soft legs, warmth and adding an extra element to an outfit. 
Worst things are runs and having my toes stick out of little toe holes that form from too much wear.

Do you recycle your tights ?
-Once they are ripped I'll put them in a pile of fabric that I have for arts and crafts. I have yet to re-use any so far though. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments