How to - DIY Recycled tights necklace tutorial

02:16:00

Like any gal who lives in sub-zero temperatures I have a rather extensive collection of tights. Consequently I also throw many of them away when they get holes and ladders in them. I have zero patience which makes me rip them on too fast. This, coupled with a nasty habit of crawling around on the floor make my poor tights rarely last longer than a season. I was so upset when my yellow tights bit the dust recently and I decided it was far too soon for our relationship to end. So I shredded them to pieces and made a necklace out of them. I’m a heartless wench. 


I just cut the legs off the body of the tights and cut the toes off.
Then I cut each leg open and cut them into strips, roughly 1cm wide.
Then I tied each end to an earring finding making sure that each layer was longer than the last. This sometimes meant tying two lengths together and trying it on to check that it was falling correctly.
Then I tied shorter pieces of stocking at irregular intervals along my strands. I also bought a DIY stud kit and put studs all along the strands and ties. I sewed a few silver charms on it too. 
Then I added a clasp and chain so I could wear it at different lengths. If you’re going to make this yourself I suggest that you wear it often through out the process of making it so you can gauge the shape and length of it. The total cost of the piece was $1.50. The tights, earring findings and chain were all junk that was lying around my house and the stud kit cost $1.50 from a discount store. Even if I had to buy the findings and chain it wouldn’t have cost more than a couple of dollars. 
This is the first D.I.Y post for Smaggle so if you have any questions just comment! 
Love Lady Smaggle
xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments