Dressing for concerts, quick tips

01:43:00

Dressing for concerts

I thought it would be funny to do a little tongue-in-cheek bit on how to dress for concerts based on my very unscientific observation. I am by no means an expert but I have picked up some tips from watching audiences all round the world so I thought I'd share them in case anyone is interested.

Loads of people ask this question on wiki answers or whatever, but some of the advice I've read is truly appalling including one website that said "Don't wear the band's t-shirt because you'll just look like a noob." PHWAAT?! Where are the thousands of pieces of merchandise being sold going then, you nimrod?

So, here are my quick tips, none of which are definitive, but all of which have been tried and tested.

1) Yes, please wear the band's t-shirt if you want. If you have one, why the hell wouldn't you? For one, it's a way to show support especially if you're a rabid enough fan to have purchased one, and for another, it creates a great sense of community when you see throngs of people streaming in one direction with shirts that all say one thing. It's just great fun and it's something you shouldn't miss out on if you really love a band.

2) It is quite acceptable to wear the t-shirt of another band as long as you follow certain guidelines:

a) You can wear the shirt of another band if their music is somehow adjacent or similar to the band playing. So you can wear a Judas Priest or Iron Maiden or Dream Theatre shirt to see Rush and feel quite pleased with yourself about it. Or, you could wear a Queen shirt to watch Keane or a HIM shirt to watch Sabbath.
b) You can wear the shirt of a band if it no longer exists and thus does not pose any threat to the band that is playing. So I've seen Pink Floyd and Bob Marley and The Beatles t-shirts at many many concerts that I've attended.

c) You shouldn't be wearing the shirt of a rival band unless you're looking to start trouble. For example, I wouldn't wear a Blur shirt to see Oasis (though honestly, I don't know that I would wear the shirt of either band in any case) or a Beatles shirt to see the Rolling Stones (although this is slightly more acceptable, see rule above).

d) You can wear an AC/DC shirt almost everywhere. 

e) You should not be wearing your Avril Lavigne shirt anywhere. Just please.

3) Outside of band t-shirts, there are only two other rules I follow. Dress comfortable. I know the mentality is that you have to look hot and glittery, but if you want to attend lots of gigs, I'd go with stylish comfort over giant hair, loads of jewellery and falsies. To be honest, everyone looks unkempt and sweaty at the end of it and that's part of the experience... Looking overdressed and having to stand aloof just isn't as fun.

People will tell you not to wear heels or slippers or flats or god knows what, but really that's up to you as long as you're comfortable. Bear in mind you might be standing for a very very long time, sometimes on grass, sometimes in the sun and you'll be moving around a lot. If it's going to get cold, bring a light layer. If it's going to be hot, don't layer too much. You get the idea.

So as long as you feel relaxed and agile in the clothes you wear, feel free to wear almost anything. If you're going to be uncomfortable just for the sake of looking glamourous and wear stilettos on grass or something, good luck.

AND

4) Dress safely. If you're going to a fairly tame concert, then anything goes, but I've been in places where people have nearly gotten smashed in the front of the audience and so I would advise some care.

For example, close toed shoes if you're worried about being stepped on, no dangly jewellery if there's any danger that someone could tug at you and hair in a high, safe style. After someone nearly ripped my hair out at Black Sabbath, I've developed a high, tight ponytail or two, equally out of the way pigtails. It's may not be as hawt as letting your hair flow free or whatever, but at least you'll have hair left. Also, try to avoid sharp accessories. I've been at concerts where I've nearly fallen or people around me have gotten into fights and it would have just been awful to get cut.

And finally, a small cross body bag is always helpful if you're going to be standing.
With those rambly tips in mind, here's what I wore to see Rush:








Earrings - F21. Shorts - DIY. Shirt - H&M. Checked men's shirt - H&M.


Tights - H and M. Boots - Dr Martens. Bracelets - Made by mother.


I cuffed my shorts for a cleaner line and more leg, and the only concession to dangling accessories were these amazing 70s-looking earrings which could be removed and stowed in my pocket if things got rough (they totally didn't). Also, I love this men's shirt... I think they're on sale at H&M right now at 2 for the price of 1 and Shriya and I each got one.







You Might Also Like

0 comments